Good day today. Walking everywhere. Since I’m through with classes, my days have taken an entirely new structure. I also have a new water lady (She pumps from the borehole 2km away) so I don’t worry about waiting around at home so water will come for me to wash with. So free – I plan my days chock full and it doesn’t even matter if I don’t get half the stuff done because there is another day tomorrow when I AM NOT BUSY! The life of a health or environment sector volunteer. Or so I imagine. Lucky I have the connections I do though, which came through working at the school.
- Got up after 6. Had breakfast (tea &scones with papaya from my tree) with Mary, PCV in Bwanje, who had spent the night before at my house
- Got out, went to meetings at the youth club, since I missed a meeting with the community leaders yesterday. Got updated, good requests for a larger ground nut oil press, transport money, salt, plastic bags for selling; they asked me to come meet our Member of Parliament to ask for solar electricity so the club can apply to get computers. Rearranged next week’s schedule to go to the MP’s office in Bilila – Monday.
- Didn’t meet the PEA (primary education advisor) because he was out; didn’t meet Sister C who is traveling back from Zomba. Went to market instead.
- Chatted with neighbor at Grocery while having lunch: Coke & a doughnut.
- Chatted w/nearby family (Nkhata household): brother took over my knitting, sister & I made futali by pounding ground nuts to flour w/a tree and a hollow stump (oversized mortar&pestle aka musi&ntondo). Grandpa taught me to make sisal (string from the agave cactus fibers) on my shin – prep for making a bamboo mat. I did AWESOME after a little practice! The key is to soften the fibers by wetting.
- Came home at sunset. Chatted with neighbors about the future. Met neighbor’s daughter and niece who are back for the holiday. Quizzed them about school.
- Made Mac & cheese for din – mmm.
- Chatted w/Devin on the phone. Am in love with him. Regardless of 3 second delay Malawi-Cali (with the 9 hour difference – it was morning there)
- Knitted sweater for pregnant friend
- Sleep.
About
Caitlin W.
Age: 25
Sex: Female
Dates of Service: Dec 2008 - Sept 2010
Location: SharpeValle, Ntcheu District, Central Malawi
Position: Secondary School Teacher, Physical Science; Resource Person for SharpeValle CDSS
Age: 25
Sex: Female
Dates of Service: Dec 2008 - Sept 2010
Location: SharpeValle, Ntcheu District, Central Malawi
Position: Secondary School Teacher, Physical Science; Resource Person for SharpeValle CDSS
20.8.10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment