"For some time I had a small farm up at Gil Gil, where I lived in a tent, and I travelled by the railway to and fro between Gil Gil and Ngong. At Gil Gil, I might make up my mind very suddenly, when it began to rain, to go back to my house. But when I came to Kikuyu, which was our station on the railway line, and from where it was ten miles to the farm, one of my people would be there with a mule for me to ride home on. When I asked them how they had known that I was coming down, they looked away, and seemed uneasy as if frightened or bored, such as we should be if a deaf person insisted on getting an explanation of a symphony from us."
"[Kamante] had no gift whatever for admiration. He might acknowledge, and think well of the wisdom of animals, but there was.. only one human being of whose good sense I heard him speak approvingly; it was a young Somali woman who some years later came to live on the farm. He had a little mocking laughter, of which he made use in all circumstances, but chiefly towards any self-confidence or grandiloquence in other people. All natives have in them a strong sense of malice, a shrill delight in things going wrong, which in itself is hurting and revolting to Europeans. Kamante brought this characteristics to a rare perfection even to a special self-irony, that made him take pleasure in his own disappointments and disaster, nearly exactly as in those of other people."
About
Caitlin W.
Age: 25
Sex: Female
Dates of Service: Dec 2008 - Sept 2010
Location: SharpeValle, Ntcheu District, Central Malawi
Position: Secondary School Teacher, Physical Science; Resource Person for SharpeValle CDSS
Age: 25
Sex: Female
Dates of Service: Dec 2008 - Sept 2010
Location: SharpeValle, Ntcheu District, Central Malawi
Position: Secondary School Teacher, Physical Science; Resource Person for SharpeValle CDSS
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Geez, that certainly was a negative commentary on Native life.
buck up girl. People can definitely take pleasure in negativity in malawi, but they love life. Remember that.
Hey! Not my words. They were written in a detached nordic tone. But maybe you're right! I had a good week, there are some blog posts waiting to be posted.
Post a Comment