About

Caitlin W.
Age: 25

Sex: Female
Dates of Service: Dec 2008 - Sept 2010
Location: SharpeValle, Ntcheu District, Central Malawi
Position: Secondary School Teacher, Physical Science; Resource Person for SharpeValle CDSS

18.9.10

Border Crossing: Smaller Mountain, Nicer City

We took a minibus into Blantyre. Research on LAM/SAA shows that it's impossible to go to Lesotho - no time, huge amounts of money involved. Sorry Joce. On the way to getting a Mulanje minibus in Limbe, a sad goodbye song: "I'm leaving, and I'm never coming back again." I cried saying bye to KellyO. Crossed border (got inspected by some 'inspector' guy) and took a bike taxi to meet Charlotte. Great to see her work her Portuguese - my Spanish is coming back. Estou a aprender!

Milange is a cute town - gov't office on a hill, village neighborhoods w/electricity but a shared tap. Toilet!! Plushy wonderful. Lots of good chatting w/Char ' she is very generous & thoughtful. I was able to tell her about some difficult stuff I've faced here - the shit my neighbors talk that's so obsessive it makes me constantly self-conscious. It's usually difficult and even humiliating to repeat the actual words they say but she was accepting & sympathetic - also sympathetic to B. calling me paranoid' Men Just Don't Get the way women communicate w/each other. I also talked to her a bit about how I don't have much family support here ' her parents are more laissez'faire and so are less offended she might jump continents just for the experience of it. Dinner of snacks at a birthday party with a mixed nationalities group of missionaries: other Americans, South Africans, Dutch, Zambia Rhodesian. Very welcoming; we sang some songs to open the party.

No comments: