About

Caitlin W.
Age: 25

Sex: Female
Dates of Service: Dec 2008 - Sept 2010
Location: SharpeValle, Ntcheu District, Central Malawi
Position: Secondary School Teacher, Physical Science; Resource Person for SharpeValle CDSS

5.4.08

Post-colonial lit and boning up on oppression

I am still waiting for the Placement Office to let me know where I will be for the next 2.5 years - 2 months before I am scheduled to depart. Ahh! Every time someone asks where I'm headed, I get a little teeny bit more anxious about it. I do feel like I should know by now.

I was thinking I would wait until I know my destination country to start preparing, but now it's getting close and it might be a good exercise to take myself back to the post-colonialism lit I briefly delved into last spring (a grad level English class I truly didn't belong in, but enjoyed anyway). I'm getting a Zoƫ Wicomb novel from the HoCo library soon.

I'm also going to start reading about a project for pro-forestation: planting a forest in the middle of the South American desert! Talk about reclaiming hostile lands for people who are short on resources. The book is called Gaviotas: A Village to Reinvent the World. That kind of thing could make a cool grad school project prototype, if I don't end up over at RMI post service.

No comments: