About

Caitlin W.
Age: 25

Sex: Female
Dates of Service: Dec 2008 - Sept 2010
Location: SharpeValle, Ntcheu District, Central Malawi
Position: Secondary School Teacher, Physical Science; Resource Person for SharpeValle CDSS

1.11.10

In America, The Internet Is At McDonald's.

Can't believe it! Free WiFi at the most ubiquitous place in America, even more populous than starbucks. I had *heard* that the internet is everywhere but I didn't really believe it. Now I'm watching football in front of a weird flashing fake fireplace on a squishy couch at Mickie D's.



Here are some of my early observations / culture shockin thoughts after being back in America for a few weeks:
  • 495 Capital Beltway driving is scary
  • Blowdryers & Makeup are fun!
  • Why does my family need 5 cars?? That's ridiculous.
  • Salads are delicious
  • Refrigeration is revolutionary, if it comes from the right need (ie. food not booze)
  • TV is a dangerous time suck
  • It's hard to walk from one destination to another. That makes it hard to get exercise!
  • Why are so many people treating me like 1 of a number of cattle? Doesn't seem right.
  • Americans aren't used to touching, but they seem to like it / be OK with it sometimes.
  • Men (&women too!) spend all day looking at idealized images of the human body so anyone who looks any different is hated on/hates on themselves.
  • Water tastes icky, and there's really no variety in flavor. Mmmm, chemicals.
  • Bar bitches are mean
  • Pavement/tarmac is pretty ugly and has an effect on me that is the opposite of relaxing. It's everywhere in 'Merica. I guess because walking on the tarmac used to be the most crowded, dangerous place in Malawi, I'm still not comfortable. Where the mountains? Trees? Maize fields??

I'm publishing this also in my other/old blog because this is about it for Malawi! I'll finish up the COS trip entries pretty soon, then this blog is finished, done, finito. It's been fun.

No comments: