About

Caitlin W.
Age: 25

Sex: Female
Dates of Service: Dec 2008 - Sept 2010
Location: SharpeValle, Ntcheu District, Central Malawi
Position: Secondary School Teacher, Physical Science; Resource Person for SharpeValle CDSS

12.1.10

Macreepy Crawlies

Yesterday I had the extraordinary luck of finding both a tarantula AND a scorpion in my outdoor kitchini. Hello, rainy season! Thankfully, our school guard Magumu was with me and he killed them lickety split with a nearby piece of firewood, saying they're really bad. Agreed - although I wasn't too worried because they only really stand a chance of getting you when you can't see them. His technique in killing them was quite good - a quick squash-crush in the eyeballs and they hardly squirmed. impressive. Africa seems to hone that instinct - even I'm getting pretty good, though my preferred method is a few brazen slaps of the hand. At least it works with cockroaches, who love to come out of my dirty laundry and books in my bookshelf - thanks guys.

Also icky - I figred out that the stink in my back room was a disemboweled house mouse that Charlie kitty had left for me after I saw its furry husk behind my mountain bike. Stupid cat can't even take a hint when I stop feeding her that she is supposed to go away (because I am allergic) and now this! But it's still a nice fuzzy feeling when she purrs and rubs up against my leg, even with my allergies.

Edit: two weeks later, a scorpion under my pillow wished me good morning. Eek!

No comments: