About

Caitlin W.
Age: 25

Sex: Female
Dates of Service: Dec 2008 - Sept 2010
Location: SharpeValle, Ntcheu District, Central Malawi
Position: Secondary School Teacher, Physical Science; Resource Person for SharpeValle CDSS

13.11.09

Dating Debuttante

I have dated for reals this time in Peace Corps.
Since July up through November I was involved in a dating adventure with a guy who lives Totally Far Away. Why I letmyself get into situations with an inherent element of not easy (eg. 14-hour distances) I will never know. Maybe I'll grow out of it, but for now, Zimachitika -- it happens.

After that, here's what I can say, the lessons learned:
- Initially, your chances rely on holiday gatherings, if your locales are not attractive enough *or are all female, as was my case).
- After that first connection, site visits are fun and a great way to get to know that cutie really well. BUT they are a huge culture shock to your community! So choose wisely. It helps if your person of choice can do wheelies on your bike to impress the kids.
- Because PCVs are a small community of really connected people stuck in rural nowheres with little to do or talk about, everyone else is plum starving to hear gossip about you of a romantic flavour. And when you tell your friends the news, they will probably already know something before you open your mouth. Though what they know is probably pretty wrong.
- It's OK if cutie's parents call you on the phone. You should not panic or think things are getting too serious. You are only an avenue running between your cutie and America.
- For girls, having a boyfriend is a nice security bonus and charm against creepy village men/lecherous coworkers. For guys, having a girl is only more glory, whipped cream on top, but he prepared for tosn of people you don't know to ask when the wedding is going to be.

But for now, Caitlin is back in the game. Thank goodness some new players have rotated in - the new Education group is here!

No comments: