About

Caitlin W.
Age: 25

Sex: Female
Dates of Service: Dec 2008 - Sept 2010
Location: SharpeValle, Ntcheu District, Central Malawi
Position: Secondary School Teacher, Physical Science; Resource Person for SharpeValle CDSS

20.4.09

Kande Beach, Malawi Lakeshore Lounge Spot #4

To the beach— Spring Break 2009! Four of my girlfriends and I cruised off to yet another beautiful spot on the lake (my fourth, with no sign of stopping). We chose sun, fun, and good food at girl camp while a group of guys in our group chose hiking boots, 3 days on the trail, excessive facial hair, beef jerky and powdered milk at their Ruarwe man camp. I think it’s clear what the right choice was, though I have yet to see the grizzled remains of the ‘men’ after their odyssey.
Kande Beach was a lovely secluded spot on the Northern lakeshore where solitude was easily achievable even on a weekend. We stayed for 2 nights at a cottage thanks to a birthday present from Alyssa’s grandparents (hint- a hundred dollars goes far here!) and had lots of laying around on the beach and powers and sobo cocktails. The resort had some pretty cool water sports options, including free snorkeling equipiment, a PADI SCUBA center, catamarans, kayaks, and horses that liked to go in the water. We mostly just sat around reading and listening to music on the beach in utter and complete peace. The place was shut off from the villages nearby by a big metal gate, but that was OK because there were lots of hangout spots within and a fair amount of different groups all staying in the various accommodations there.



We met VSO volunteers from Canada, people from England, Wales, Scotland, Australia, South Africa, and even PCVs who had been serving in Madagascar when the PC program was recently suspended. The girls and I entertained ourselves at night with foosball, darts, and a guitar singalong at the bar and then later on the beach, led by a cute Canadian guy who was visiting his Mum and Dad (the VSOs). He was so cute in fact, that when Alyssa and I got a ride with their family back to Mzuzu, I did him the favor of leaving my contact info on a little piece of paper in his guitar case.

I didn’t get sunburned and I’m gradually building up a resistance to sand. I hate to admit it but I am somehow becoming a beach person.. even though I still can’t really get into the whole ‘water thing’. At least the lake doesn’t stink of salt, and there were lots of cool cyclids to see in the nice clear waters.

Kelly and Kelly looking beautiful and beachy




Caitlin and Alyssa laughing about something




A typical bwana (high-class) accommodation

No comments: