About

Caitlin W.
Age: 25

Sex: Female
Dates of Service: Dec 2008 - Sept 2010
Location: SharpeValle, Ntcheu District, Central Malawi
Position: Secondary School Teacher, Physical Science; Resource Person for SharpeValle CDSS

2.1.09

New Year: Chaka Cha 2009 Chafika

It's officially the new year and when I remember, I'm excited to tell people I meet around town that I came in the previous year - a seasoned Malawian, no? Though I'm kidding it's still great to feel the glow of the many compliments paid to PCVs because of our excellent language training here. Kudos to my trainers (<3 Beatrice).

Many things have happenned recently in the PCV network. It's overwhelming for me at times; sometimes it's difficult to find a space for myself within such an insular community but other times, like today, I'm so grateful to find a little coccoon waiting in any of the three regional capitals. For New Year's Eve, that happenned for me up in Mzuzu and now in Lilongwe, on my way back to my site. It's about time to get started doing my job, now that I'm fully prepared! I am excited to do that but feeling a little trepidation too; it's yet another transition to make my way through.

An accident has rocked the 1st year education class and we're still processing it. Two of our friends, a sweet couple who came together in Peace Corps, were medevaced to South Africa and are receiving medical care for a list of serious injuries sustained when a wheel busted and their vehicle rolled over at high speed. They are both alive, thankfully, but we are all dreading the possibility that their recovery will take more time than is allowed for volunteers to remain serving. That would bring our 22 down to 20, which is still the smallest group in country. My friends in and outside of my class have been supportive but it's still a scary time, knowing that this accident could have happenned to any of us.

Back to the grind, though; I have to focus on my job if I'm going to get the year started on a good foot. Even though the first week of school is said to be wasted time, it's still a good moment to establish some ground rules and norms between me and my students.

Take care, and my love to all in the states.

C

No comments: