About

Caitlin W.
Age: 25

Sex: Female
Dates of Service: Dec 2008 - Sept 2010
Location: SharpeValle, Ntcheu District, Central Malawi
Position: Secondary School Teacher, Physical Science; Resource Person for SharpeValle CDSS

16.7.08

How Many Info Sessions Does it Take? To get to the center of the tootsie pop..

Mom and I attended an presentation/workshop at the PC offices downtown yesterday on celebrating the families and friends of PC volunteers. I enjoyed the chance to chat with those around me about their experiences with loved ones or as prospective or past volunteers, but was most happy that Mom had a chance to address some of her concerns directly to the organization and with other like-minded parents who were present. I've been struggling to adequately address the concerns of the parental unit, both Mom and Dad, in a way that sounds objective and not self-serving. It's hard for me to present information to them that isn't shaped like an argument; I can't help but advocate for my choice!

Two important gem gleaned at the event:
  • As a Math and Science teacher, I will most likely be serving in a larger, less rural community, because like schools in the US, primary education occurs at many points around the community but further education is more central (and is allotted fewer resources). That means I'll get better communication - maybe even the internets! - right in my community.
  • Each volunteer is assigned a "counterpart" in the community with some skills that are intended to assist with the adjustment; perhaps a community leader or someone who has been abroad who has good language skills and has been exposed to different ways of life; or maybe someone with technical knowledge relevant to teaching. It's nice to know I'll have a liaison -- though some cautionary tales that returned volunteers shared show that it's wise to not lean too heavily on that person.. because they could be jeopardizing a volunteer's new relationship to the community!
Lastly, I was relieved to have Mom informed that I will not be able to communicate as much as she may need, from a 50+ recruiter whose daughter served and who then served herself. "She will have a lot on her plate," so Mom needs to learn to take it easy.

Thankfully, I'm beginning to be less affected by my parents' worries and more excited for departure based on the knowledge and perspective I'm acquiring in preparation. This includes workshopping and peer-to-peer training on group facilitation as well as the gathering of many anecdotes (now most recently from an acquaintance who actually served in Malawi, performing the same job function, with a similar engineering background!)

No comments: